Tuesday, 8 May 2007

Text Blog Post Entry Seven - Auckland Museum Diploma Trip

I really enjoyed it because it was the first time I had visited this place before since I got here. Last week I went to Auckland War Memorial Museum for a trip by a taxi, because I don't know where to catch the bus to Auckland Domain Park. It wa lovely weather that day. The Auckland Museum has three floors which all have their own exhibits. The Ground Level tells the story of Pacific People: Maori, Pakeha, the peoples of Oceania and other newcomers; the Natural History galleries are all located in level 1; the context about the second world war, whose galleries are located in level 2.
The ground level tells me about the people of the Pacific – from the great Pacific navigators, and the Polynesians to New Zealand’s original people, the Maori.

The first level tells me about LAND stories, from geological origins to the strange (kiwi) and wonderful flightless (Moa) animals for which New Zealand is know. I was able to learn that what is uniquely ancient about the oceans, forests and animals here.

The top level tells me about the Second World War how the New Zealanders battled against other countries. There are some airplanes which were used in the world war, and some Armory belonging to New Zealand.
In the last part, I saw a performance of Maori culture. It was a wonderful dance. I really loved it.

No comments: